The mastitis symptoms are very likely to appear in a breast feeding woman after initial 2 to 3 months of relatively comfortable period after delivery of the baby. The journey of motherhood right from the period of pregnancy to the period till the bay is breastfed is full of challenges of various types including the recurrence of mastitis symptoms few times in women who have once suffered mastitis symptoms.
The realization of mastitis becomes noticeable by the presence of tenderness and slight swelling of usually one of the breast besides experiencing symptoms of fever. The first reaction in observing fever casts doubt on something related to post delivery infection being the cause of fever.
Mastitis is a very commonly occurring condition observed in breastfeeding mothers. Suffering from the mastitis symptoms is of concern involving both the mother and the baby having dependence on breastfeeds.
The immediate feeling with mastitis is that the affected breast is relatively hotter than the rest of the body, little hard to touch and apparently swollen. The degree of pain varies from just mild to with the progression causes severe pain.
The mastitis symptoms besides pain and local swelling, the woman feels the presence of fever as well as chilling. It is also accompanied by looking tired as if there is drainage of energy so quickly.
In case, the infection of the breast has further advanced the woman experiences fever, vomiting and nausea being the symptoms of mastitis. In the absence of proper treatment mastitis, the infection discharge oozes out of the breast nipple. In some cases, the breasts are engorged due to blockage, present in the milk ducts inside each breast, responsible for tenderness and pain.
The mastitis symptoms originate from a specific condition of the breastfeeding in which the bacteria present in the baby’s mouth succeeds in entering into the breast through small openings present on the breast nipple or breast nipple has cracks on its surface with high chances of getting infected while breastfeeding the baby.
Bacteria gets entry into the milk ducts of the breast, and has high potential of multiplying very fast soon causing fully fledged mastitis condition causing associated redness, irritation, painful and tender.
Better planning of the ways to breastfeeding is helpful in prevention of the mastitis symptoms occurrence, which are enumerated below as a ready reference in achieving the objective of mastitis free breastfeeding the baby:
• In case, there is past history of mastitis, there are higher chances of getting mastitis again. Therefore, do the examination of the nipples on a daily basis for locating any skin cracked or presence of abrasion. Take necessary caution if soreness and tenderness is observed during the examination.
• Make changes in the position of the baby while breastfeeding and also ensure that the milk present in the breasts is completely drained out.
• Wearing of tightly fitting bras during the breastfeeding period should be avoided, since it can affect restriction on the milk flowing out from the breasts.
• When the baby is being breastfed use alternate breast from time to time regularly and take care that the baby’s position in respect of the breast nipples is firm and correct.
• There is enjoyment and satisfaction to the baby while sucking nipple it should not be used in place of a pacifier.
• The onset of mastitis should not be ignored. It requires medical advice and treatment for getting quick relief from its symptoms.
The doctor conducts thorough examination for confirmation of diagnosis of mastitis. Traditionally oral antibiotic coverage is provided to get relief need from mastitis symptoms.
You could find more information about mastitis symptoms here: